Wednesday, July 7, 2010

a tear-jerker classic...

On Father's day, my Grandma Fugal passed away. (a post about her may eventually come up, but I'm been such a slacker about blogging and I know if I try to "catch up," I'll never get back into it. So anyway...) at her funeral, the stake president shared some brief remarks in which he recalled a time when he was in her 4th grade class... way back when... and he remembered he reading aloud to the class, "Where the Red Fern Grows." That just happens to be one of my favorite books, and I decided I needed to read it aloud to my kids. We started it about a week or so ago, and the kids are loving it. (Aaron and Katrina especially, Caleb couldn't really care less and Bryan has a harder time following it...) Every night it is that same thing, "One more chapter mom, just ONE more???? PLEASE????"

So today I got home from walking, and instead of being productive, I just happened to open up the book to see what came next... Ya, you know what's coming eh? I re-read to the end, bawling and blubbering like usual. I've already told the kids that Tim is going to have to read the last couple chapters cause I don't think there's any way I can read them out loud... I'll be crying too hard!

2 comments:

Heather said...

ohhh, I love a good cry, I might need to read it. I had never heard of it before...

Corinne said...

Sadly, I too have never read it. Once I get through my Aunt Joan's funeral, we'll have to read it. Sounds like Mark will be reading the ending though. :-)